Thursday, March 21, 2013

Navionics in your bathroom?

WHAT?!?!?  I bet you're thinking that I must be joking, or off my rocker to suggest that I have my graph in my bathroom.

I'm not, and I don't.

What I have is the new Navionics App for my iPhone 5.  Downloaded from the Apple store for $14.99, I have all the lakes in the US and Canada right at my fingertips.  So while I'm riding with coworkers, having lunch, riding the subway, or just lying in bed, I can look at the lakes and rivers that I love, as well as the ones I'm not as familiar with.  I can link it with all my devices which will allow me to view hotspots on my boat that I marked last week while I was getting my hair cut, I can share my information with friends of mine, I can log fish and weather conditions, view ramps and launches, find new humps and bumps to explore, and the GPS feature will allow me to even use it in a pinch if my graph on my boat should malfunction.  Don't believe me?  See for yourself!  These are actual pictures taken from my personal iPhone.


If you're like me you really don't have time to go out and sit on your boat at lunch and study contour lines.  You have stacks and stacks of paper maps that you paid for and are outdating themselves as I write this.  Never buy another map again.  Never forget it at home.  Never find that your son scribbled all over it with a marker.  Everything you need is in the palm of your hand.  At a price that is equal to that of one paper map.  There's really no reason not to buy it!

The more I use this app the more useful I'm finding it.  For instance there are many small-craft bodies of water that I fish with my brother out of a small canoe.  For years we've had to try to mark logs or trees to remember where we caught fish, and we never had contour lines to guide us, and now that's all going to change.
Navionics also shows you:  Magazine articles and guides, Marinas, Fuel Stations, Marine and Outdoor Shops, Marine Repair, Boat Dealer and Builder, Waterfront Restaurant, Tides, Currents, Lakes, as well as Latitude and Longitude.  Zoom in and out.  Take pictures of your map.  Track your route.  Add waypoints.  Adjust your map settings.  You can do it all from this app.  I'm telling you right now, this is the REAL DEAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment