Wednesday, April 17, 2013

5 In The Box with Stephanie Hemphill




Stephanie Hemphill is sitting on her couch in her pj's editing fishing videos.  Having seen a couple myself I imagine it being really difficult for her to edit.  Big fish, huge Texas smile, I think Bill Dance might see a decline in his ratings in the near future...

Q:  Stephanie, why do you fish?

Because it's the love of my life.  It is every great memory I have growing up.  I can be myself and admire all the beauty the way I want to see it.

Would you say you were "born" with it, or you got it over time?

I was born with it.  My whole family fishes, women included.  At six months old I was in a playpen with my mom on her pontoon boat.  Every weekend from the time I was 2 I was in my dad's boat bass fishing.

Are you fishing competitively now?

I am, but I'm selective about what I enter.  I'm paying my own way, so I have to use my money wisely.  I don't enter a tournament unless it's one I imagine I can win.  Nobody cares if you finish 20th or 50th.  I'm trying to do what's best for my career.




Does that change it at all for you, the sport of fishing?  Are you able to go out and just relax and fish with your buddies or are you disappointed if you come back having caught less than 17 or 18 pounds?

I'm OK with not always catching them.  I love fishing with my buddies and just enjoying the beauty that God made.  Wow if only everyone could experience that, then everyone would fish!  But I don't complain when I catch a big girl now and then!

We all love big girls!  And speaking of catching them, what's your favorite technique?  Flippin'?  Swimmin a jig?  Burnin' a crankbait?

I have a few.  Swimmin' a jig and carolina rigging for sure.  I love a good football head jig too.  




You hunt too?

I used to hunt as much as I fished, but I figured out I was missing some of the best fishing of the year in the fall and now I don't hunt anymore.

Do you ever think guys underestimate you and your ability and say to themselves "She's hot but she can't fish to save her life"?



Yes, but I don't let it get to me.  I know I can fish, and I can prove it!

I imagine you having that grin on your face thinking to yourself "just wait until I shove a 7 pounder in your face, buddy!"



HAHA, YES!!!

What is your favorite lake?

Falcon.  Because at any time you can catch a BIG girl.  That's what Texas bass fishing is all about!

Least favorite?

Sam Rayburn because it's my home lake.  I grew up (basically) being taught how to fish Big Sam so I'm supposed to be awesome here.  So when I don't do well on Rayburn I feel like I not only let myself down but my family as well.

The internet is such an amazing resource for information, but is there anyone who has shown you different techniques or who has helped improve your knowledge of the sport?

Yes, Elite Series angler Clark Reehm.  I live with him and we always have new baits being mailed to us.  So I get to not only see lures that aren't even out yet but I get to try them too.  I'm very hardheaded so when he tries to correct me on techniques I have to force myself to listen (but I don't always like too).




I believe everyone has their own way of doing things.  Sure a certain pro may say to do it this way or that way but it may not work for everyone.  So I basically listen to what Clark says, but add my own personal touches to it.

And on that note, let's jump into our 5 In The Box!

1.  What's it like on a Sunday when you and Clark are both at home and not on Tour?

I'm fishing and he is at home on the computer.  He is also the cook at our house.  You may die if you ate my food...

(I'm laughing)

It's true!

2.  Do you have any pre-tournament rituals or superstitions?

I eat a pickle during the tournament.

Why?  (I'm laughing)

First time I did it I caught a 7 and three 5's.  So eat a pickle every time and see if there's something to it.  

(I'm not laughing)

Oh, and I love them.  :)

I'm gonna try it.

Watch, you're gonna message me and say you caught a double-digit!  Also I fish with some of my pawpaw's rods.  He died on the lake a few years ago and he was the best fisherman I've ever known and I feel like they're lucky.  He would catch fish when nobody else could!




3.  If you had to guess where your best finish would be in 2013, where would it be and where would you struggle the most?

My best would be at Red River in September.  Worst I have no clue.  It all depends on if my little green friends like me that day.

4.  What's the one body of water you would pick to fish in 2013 if you had your choice?

Amistad.  My fishing style suits me well there.  I have a lot of confidence there (the big girl I caught there last year in the tournament helped a little with that...).

5.  What's one thing people might not know about Stephanie Hemphill?

When I was a little girl I told my dad that I wanted to be a pro fisherman.  I knew that at 7 years old. He told me that a girl couldn't be a pro fisherman.  Well I want to prove him wrong and become exactly what he said I couldn't.  I want other women to know that this isn't just a guy's sport anymore.


Thanks so much for your time.  I appreciate you giving me an opportunity to talk with you about this wonderful sport!  Good luck to you!

Thanks, Jim.  Good luck to you, too.  I'd also like to thank Omega, Dobyns, rahfish.com, xx2, and Tackle Center.








No comments:

Post a Comment