Thursday, August 8, 2013

5 In The Box with Hillary Hughes!



While the fishing industry continues to grow bigger and bigger, Hillary Hughes is determined to show the world that some of the best things in life still come in small packages!



Why do you fish?


It wasn't something I got drug out (of me) by my dad or grandpa to do...I found the love of fishing by standing on the bank of the pond everyday. I love it. It has become the biggest part of my life.


Are you fishing competitively now?


Yes, nothing too major yet. Some college flw tournaments and local tournaments.


Who taught you?


Funny story actually, it was my boyfriend at the time about 3 years ago in Wisconsin. We always had competition with everything we did. I wanted to catch bigger fish than he did!


Does adding the competitive side of it change it for you now or are you still able to go out and have fun even if you don't catch 20 pounds?


I find myself needing to slow down a bit during tournaments but I am still able to go down to the pond or the lake and have a blast. Even if we don't catch much, its just being on the water that can make any mood better!


I call it my therapy!



What's your favorite technique?



Oh that's a hard choice! I love frogging and throwing a spinnerbait.

Do you hunt too?

Ohh no!! lol

Do you think guys underestimate your ability to fish and compete because you're a woman?




Oh yes! Most men see a young lady fishing and they don't take me seriously. They don't find it funny though when I'm weighing in bigger fish than they are!





What's your favorite lake? And what's your least favorite?


Most people may not know it because it's a smaller lake but my favorite is Mozingo Lake here in Northwest Missouri. My least favorite is Beaver Lake in Arkansas.


Let's get to the big 5!


1. Are you dating anyone, and if so, what's it like on a sunday when you're both together and not fishing or working?


Or are you both fishing together?


I'm not sure if you would call it dating but we are always fishing together every weekend! We fish most of our local tournaments together.


2. Do you have any pre-tournament rituals or superstitions?


Not really any rituals, but I always make sure I have my dirty old pink john deere hat on or with me!




3. Where was your best finish in 2013, and where did you struggle the most?


My best finish was at Mozingo Lake and my biggest struggle was on Kentucky Lake. We flat out got skunked. I haven't had a lot of experience fishing those deep ledges and neither did my partner. I saw shallow brush and wanted to flip that all day and it produced nothing bigger than 12 inchers.


4. What's the one body of water you would pick to fish in 2013 if you had your choice?


My choice of water would be Falcon lake. I will catch a double digit and it will be there!


5. What's one thing nobody knows about you?


The one thing nobody knows about me would have to be my fear of the dark. I still sleep with the tv on or a small light lol. Embarrassing, I know but I can't help it! My dad checked under my bed and in my closet until I was at least 14-15 years old :/ lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment